Wednesday, April 21, 2010

publishing evolution #83: paper to pixels (or e-ink)

1) For the most part, I prefer books in paper format. I like the freedom of carrying a book around with me, folding down pages, marking my progress through the book. I also like knowing that I can take as long as I want to read a book, without worrying about a dying battery.

But I am not completely opposed to e-books. I have found that some books (mostly classics) are easier for me to read on a computer screen. I finally read all of Jane Austen's Emma last year - online. I had previously tried reading that book half a dozen times, but found it incredibly boring. I don't know if it was determination that pushed me to finally finish it, or if the online version actually helped, but reading it a computer certainly didn't hinder me.

I also recently purchased a Sony Reader, which has been great so far. It is compact and easy to carry around, but I know that free book availability will keep me from using it exclusively.

2) I think price is a concern for the majority of book buyers, particularly while the economy is still struggling to recover. I know I have bought fewer books over the past year than usual. The books I have bought have been from the Friends of the Library, at Half Price Books, or used from sellers on Amazon.

As I mentioned above, I recently purchased a Sony Reader. As of now, I refuse to spend money on digital copies of books. Instead, I've been downloading public domain novels and checking out ebooks from HCPL. It's worked out well for me, and I'll probably stick to this plan for a long while...at least until I get desperate!

3) I think previewing a book before I buy it is a fantastic idea. I do this a lot with cookbooks and knitting books, trying to check them out from the library to see if they are worth the money. However, I wasn't that impressed with iFiction. I suppose it's a good idea for people who are trying to self-publish in the most simplistic fashion, but the quality of the handful of stories I previewed was lacking. It certainly wasn't worth purchasing, even if the rest of the story was only 75 cents.

No comments: