Wednesday, November 7, 2007

social networking

My thoughts on social networking on the world wide web are as follows:

I'm not really a fan.

I know, I know. I'm barely older than the generation obsessed with MySpace and the like. (Speaking of MySpace, I have very strong negative feelings about that particular social networking tool. It makes stalking a frighteningly easy thing, as storylines on Criminal Minds and Numb3rs have taught.) Facebook came on the scene my last undergraduate semester and I essentially set up an account simply because I was procrastinating and my friend told me to. (Bowing to peer pressure. Tsk, tsk. Must work on that.) But I only check my Facebook account when I get an email notification telling me someone wants to be my friend. The site I use for my personal blog is essentially a social networking arena, but in the fandom sense and people tend to be very guarded about personal information. I've bought several shirts from Threadless, but as I'm not artistic, I've never participated in the social networking side of the site.

I admit that dogstar and catstar are amusing sites I'd sort of like to participate in.

So social networking. It's great for some people, and it does allow for easy communication and keeping up with people you'd rather not actually speak to on the phone. It's just not my favorite thing. I suppose that makes me a disappointment to my generation. Alas...

No comments: