Friday, November 2, 2007

Wiki Wiki Wiki

I have no idea how it happened but I somehow managed to get behind in this iHCPL business. One minute I was coasting along, poking about the 'net, and posting my findings (because this is serious scientific research we are doing here). The next thing I know, BAM! I'm two weeks and something like four posts behind.

Let me tell you, I was crushed, crushed, when no library bling appeared in my mailbox this past week.

The situation must be remedied! So here are my thoughts on wikis.

Wikis are, as a crazy (but in a good way) friend of mine says, wacky bejacky (but in a good way).

My gosh, I had so much fun with the iHCPL Sandbox. I climbed in, picked up my bucket and shovel and immediately started adding another wing (East, I think) to the pretty sandcastle. I love, love, love talking about myself and the Sandbox was the perfect platform for that. I added my own little sand creations to a good number of the Sandbox pages and had a blast doing it.

Do I think this could work in a library setting? Sure it could. It might be fun for the teens, as a sort of "graffiti" board but would need to be monitored closely for language and such. I also like the idea of using a wiki as a place for patron submitted book reviews, but HCPL already has a platform for that.

What are my conclusions on wikis? They are fantastic good fun and I might create one at some point in the future.

For now, I'll just play in the HCPL Sandbox. Just don't throw sand in my hair, please!

No comments: