Friday, October 19, 2007

Technorati

Technically speaking, Technorati is technologically simple. (It's also an awesome word to say out loud. Very Italian, which translates to very cool.)

However, it's not really my cup of tea. (Which is a silly expression for me to use, seeing as I don't drink tea at all. Nothing is my cup of tea.) I believe I mentioned this in my post about safety on the Interweb, but I like my anonymity. I have a personal blog and even though nothing overly personal is discussed there, I don't much care for the idea that some random stranger can access it through Technorati. I know it can be accessed via a search engine, but people are far more likely to find it using Technorati than they are using google, yahoo and the like.

Out of curiosity, I did a search for my personal blog on Technorati and discovered that an entry I had written discussing a show had been quoted, verbatim, by that show's blog. I had no idea! The entry I had written wasn't very complimentary and I was thoroughly annoyed to find it copied and pasted like that. It felt a bit like an invasion of privacy.

Okay, okay. I know what you're all thinking. I should know that anything I write can make its way onto another site. It's fair game once it's posted on the 'net. But still.

Technorati makes it too easy to find entries like that, to scope out the blogs of people you've never met, will never meet and have no connection to. It's a cool toy, but not for me.

(Incidentally, each time I write the word Technorati, I misspell it Technorait. Every single time! Oy vey!)

No comments: