Monday, October 1, 2007

Internet Safety and Other Such Things

This is my attempt to finish week two now that we've begun week four. Sigh...

When it comes to Internet safety, I think I probably fall somewhere in the middle. I'm obsessive about not sharing too much personal information online, but I am more than willing to post anecdotes and my opinions (which are many). I never directly discuss work, my feelings about my job, where I work, people I work with, etc. but people reading my blog on a regular basis would certainly be able to figure out what I do for a living. I don't come right out and say where I live but from event reviews I write, someone who really wanted to know could easily find out.

The thing is that someone who really wanted to hunt me down could do it. The tech savvy individual could find me. A regular reader, or even someone scanning through the back entries, could glean quite a bit about me from context clues. There's no real way to get around it. If it's on the Internet, chances are it gives more information than we think it does. I simply do my best to leave personal information, job information, and identity information out of my blog.

And then I cross my fingers. (And toes.)

No comments: